The kitchen is the heart of most homes. It is where we cook, eat, and clean. It also acts as a gathering space for family and friends. What's more, it's not just an efficient space--it can be beautiful too with the right design choices. To help you get started on your kitchen remodel in 2022, we've compiled these simple tips that will give you a head start with your design process:
- Get inspired: turn to Pinterest and Houzz for fresh ideas and new kitchens to drool over
- Start with your budget: when coming up with a plan for your kitchen remodel in 2022, it’s important to know how much you can afford to spend
- Test it out: don’t make any irreversible decisions until you’ve tested out your favorite designs at home
- Find the best location: where would you like your new kitchen? Check what kind of light sources are nearby and how they will affect the room.
Designing a kitchen can be a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. One way to get started is with inspiration. There are plenty of resources out there that provide fresh ideas and new kitchens to drool over. Pinterest is a great place to start for design inspiration, as well as Houzz.
Create a Budget for Your Project
When it comes to a kitchen remodel in 2022, there are many different factors to consider. One of the most important considerations is your budget. You should know how much you can afford to spend before going out and selecting materials for your new kitchen. By staying within your budget, you’ll avoid overspending and end up with a kitchen that suits your needs--not one that is filled with items that cost more than what you could afford.
If you don’t have a firm grasp on things, use our handy calculator below! This will help you get started on the design process.
**CALCULATOR: **Amount of square footage + number of people in household = approximate square footage per person
Once you know the square footage per person, consult our list below for estimates on costs:
- $150-$175 per square foot: cabinets, countertops, appliances
- $200-$275 per square foot: flooring and tile
- $250-$350 per square foot: plumbing fixtures and faucets
- $1,000+ per square foot: HVAC and ductwork
Test Your Design Choices
It's important to know how much you can afford to spend on your kitchen remodel in 2022. But what about the design choices? When it comes time to make decisions, it's best to test them out at home first. Doing this will help you get a better feel for which designs work best for you and your lifestyle. It will also give you an idea of the space required for the project. You may find that some designs are too big or small for your home or that they don't provide enough light.
Choose the Right Location for Your Kitchen
When you’re planning your kitchen remodel in 2022, it’s important to know what you want. One of the most important parts of this process is deciding where you would like your new kitchen. The location of your kitchen can have a significant effect on its design and functionality.
If your kitchen is located near windows, natural light will shine through and brighten up the space. If there is no natural light nearby, you may want to consider installing lights or windows that will provide this kind of illumination.
Take into consideration the amount of room you have for your kitchen as well as how much traffic will be going through it. If there are many people walking through the space every day, think about where they will be walking and eat and how you can make their experience better by placing furniture accordingly.
Consider the Lighting
When you’re designing your kitchen in 2022, it’s important to think about the lighting. Lighting can make or break a room and we recommend avoiding overhead lights, which can be harsh and unflattering. The best way to control the light in your kitchen is with lamps and pendants. We recommend choosing lamps that match the style of your kitchen and fixtures that will not block natural light from coming into the room. Pendant lights are also great because they provide ambient light, which is perfect for dinner parties.
Have Fun with Ideas
It’s easy to get stuck in a rut when you need to renovate your kitchen. You might be afraid to take risks and instead just settle for the same boring design we’ve seen before. But there are so many different design ideas out there that you can incorporate into your own kitchen remodel in 2022 that will help it stand out and look fresh.
- One way you can add intrigue and fun to your kitchen is through an unusual color palette. Try painting one wall a vibrant color like pink or yellow, or using bold colors on your backsplash tile for a striking effect.
- Another idea is incorporating nature into your design with natural elements like driftwood, live plants, or grass-cloth wallpaper.
- Take inspiration from other cultures by adding traditional Chinese symbols, Moroccan tiles, or Mexican tiles; these elements help create a feeling of exoticism and excitement.
- Finally, don't forget about furniture: modern furniture like simple white chairs or sleek stainless steel tables give you plenty of options for sprucing up the room and making it feel current without being too trendy.
Let Space Guide You
What kind of space are you looking for in the kitchen? How much space do you have? What design style do you prefer? These are all important considerations to keep in mind when remodeling your kitchen. Will your kitchen be open concept, or closed off from the other rooms in your home? What are your thoughts on cabinetry or having a more modern, clean look with minimal cabinets? Do you want something with lots of storage, or would you prefer an open countertop area?
Keep these things in mind throughout the process. Let what kind of space is available guide how you build out the kitchen, and if it doesn't feel right, don't be afraid to change it. You can always go back and edit your plans later on.
Make Your Design Dreams Come True
Designing a perfect kitchen isn't an easy process, but it's worth the effort. You spend so much time in your kitchen, so you want to feel happy and comfortable while you're there. What's more, it has to function well for all the different needs of your family members. If you have any design ideas that are just sitting in your head, take some time to let them come alive through the design process.
Your dream kitchen will come true with these simple steps:
- Get inspired by looking at other kitchens on Houzz
- Start with your budget and what you can afford while still being happy with your choice
- Test out different designs at home or in stores
- Decide where you want your new kitchen - do you want it near natural light?
By following these simple steps and the above advice, you will be well on the way to enjoying the kitchen of your dreams.